Reverend Claire Hargreaves, Interfaith and Refugee Adviser, SE District Methodist Church, has prepared a service for Refugee Week and it is attached in pdf format here.
For more information visit https://semethodistrefugeework.com/
Working with All We Can
Donate to All We Can's work with refugees through the Syria Refugee Appeal or the Coronavirus Appeal at https://www.allwecan.org.uk/
Suggestions for activities during Refugee Week 15th — 21st June 2020
If we are still under restrictions due to the Coronavirus outbreak, some of the suggestions below may have to be adapted — alternatives in brackets!
* Hold this service during Refugee Week!! Or watch the recording which will be posted on the District Website https://methodistsoutheast.org/ or https://semethodistrefugeework.com/
* Contact your local interfaith forum or leaders of other faiths and find out what they are doing for Refugee Week. Could you do something together? (a joint statement to raise awareness in the local press if in lockdown?)
* An Q and A with an Interfaith panel (via Zoom!!)
* Refugee Quiz (via Zoom!)
* Invite local refugee families to a communal meal; or ask them to give you a recipe of their own for you to cook for them. (or collect recipes and email them out or compile a booklet)
* Speakers at a service or meeting — eg from All We Can (https://www.allwecan.org.uk/); the Refugee Council; https://www.refugeecouncil.org.uk/; Amnesty International; https://www.amnesty.org.uk/ ; local refugee organisations. (publicise their websites and https://semethodistrefugeework.com/
* Have you anyone in your church who has a refugee background and might be willing to share their story? (Zoom; recording; writing an article in the Church Newsletter)
* Ask your MP to come and speak about the government's policy on migrants, asylum seeker and refugees. (or write to them asking the question!)
* Host Refugee Tales or ask them to come and speak about their refugee walks. http://refugeetales.org/ or publicise their details
* Host a film screening followed by a discussion — https://cinemaforall.org.uk/ and https://www.bfi.org.uk/ or choose a film and let people watch individually and then host a Zoom discussion.
You may also be interested in
There is no pastoral letter this week as Keith is on holiday, but the home service sheets can be found...
Recent rainfall events on July 15 brought terrible flooding to Germany with over 160 deaths, hundreds more injured or missing, homes lost and infrastructure destroyed. Flooding also affected parts of Belgium and Austria. Barry Sloan, the Methodist Church in Britain Partnership Co-ordinator for Europe has been in touch with the leaders of the partner churches in the United Methodist Church -...