Reverend Claire Hargreaves, Interfaith and Refugee Adviser, SE District Methodist Church, has prepared a service for Refugee Week and it is attached in pdf format here.
For more information visit https://semethodistrefugeework.com/
Working with All We Can
Donate to All We Can's work with refugees through the Syria Refugee Appeal or the Coronavirus Appeal at https://www.allwecan.org.uk/
Suggestions for activities during Refugee Week 15th — 21st June 2020
If we are still under restrictions due to the Coronavirus outbreak, some of the suggestions below may have to be adapted — alternatives in brackets!
* Hold this service during Refugee Week!! Or watch the recording which will be posted on the District Website https://methodistsoutheast.org/ or https://semethodistrefugeework.com/
* Contact your local interfaith forum or leaders of other faiths and find out what they are doing for Refugee Week. Could you do something together? (a joint statement to raise awareness in the local press if in lockdown?)
* An Q and A with an Interfaith panel (via Zoom!!)
* Refugee Quiz (via Zoom!)
* Invite local refugee families to a communal meal; or ask them to give you a recipe of their own for you to cook for them. (or collect recipes and email them out or compile a booklet)
* Speakers at a service or meeting — eg from All We Can (https://www.allwecan.org.uk/); the Refugee Council; https://www.refugeecouncil.org.uk/; Amnesty International; https://www.amnesty.org.uk/ ; local refugee organisations. (publicise their websites and https://semethodistrefugeework.com/
* Have you anyone in your church who has a refugee background and might be willing to share their story? (Zoom; recording; writing an article in the Church Newsletter)
* Ask your MP to come and speak about the government's policy on migrants, asylum seeker and refugees. (or write to them asking the question!)
* Host Refugee Tales or ask them to come and speak about their refugee walks. http://refugeetales.org/ or publicise their details
* Host a film screening followed by a discussion — https://cinemaforall.org.uk/ and https://www.bfi.org.uk/ or choose a film and let people watch individually and then host a Zoom discussion.
You may also be interested in
A free 2hr webinar to help volunteers in churches work out how to get record-keeping for safeguarding and safer recruitment right.Two sessions to choose from:Tuesday, 15 June 2021 — 7:00pm — 9:00pmMonday 21 June 2021 — 10am — 12 noonIN THIS WEBINAR...We'll help you grow in confidence around safeguarding recording by: Considering the reasons for keeping safeguarding...
Dave Faulkner's Sunday's video worship appeared at 8:00 am GMT on Sunday athttps://youtu.be/vPVIv4XQjCM Dave writes; "Since Byfleet returned to in-person worship on Easter Day, the viewing figures have halved. With Knaphill returning to gathered worship on Sunday week, I am naturally wondering how many people will want to continue to watch the...
A Tribute to Local Preacher, Frances Roberts, who passed away on 14th March 2021, aged 92 years. Frances was born in 1929 in Dewsbury, Yorkshire. She was 6 weeks old when she and her brother Norman, 2 years older, were adopted by Fred and Annie Wilcockson and they went to live in Shaw Mills, nr Harrogate. They instantly gained a brother Harold. Life there very much revolved around the...